Add `CITATION.cff` to repository?

Would we like to add a CITATION.cff file to the repository?

Citation File Format (CFF)
CITATION.cff files are plain text files with human- and machine-readable citation information for software (and datasets). Code developers can include them in their repositories to let others know how to correctly cite their software.

I generated a file with the information I could find across other files in the repository.
If we would like to add that, we could use something similar to that: CITATION.cff (1.1 KB)

As we already have a CITATION file in the sources that contains a the info in BibTeX format, could the CFF format info be added? I guess that doesn’t help for things like github that search for the .cff file itself?

@mmuetzel looking at the documentation of that format, I do not see what is the benefit of it compared to Octave having yet another file where we forget to update the release date and version? :sweat_smile:

There are a few tools listed which convert this format to others. Can it be displayed on GitLab/Hub or can tools like Mendeley or Zotero import those citations easily?

Mostly when you write a publication in LaTeX or Word, all you need is Bib(La)Tex or a plain citation string, which is what we already got in CITATION.

Similar mood when CFF and its support in github were discussed here:

What would perhaps be more useful is having a DOI for each Octave release, something similar to what was done for the Image Package:

1 Like

Thanks for the pointers @Guillaume :slightly_smiling_face:

Summarizing the benefit of maintaining this file is that we get in GitHub something like this in https://github.com/hexatomic/cff-maven-plugin:

No strong opinion for or against it. In general it is not bad, however not a well established format yet (many [breaking?] revisions can be expected) and Octave has only a clone in GitHub. The major development happens still in the Mercurial/Savannah universe.