Ambivalent Discourse "features" 🤬

1. When sharing a link to a post, you’ll always find the username in the end, e.g. https://octave.discourse.group/t/do-we-want-to-adopt-discourse/39/3?u=siko1056. Unfortunately, one cannot disable this “feature”. :roll_eyes: But the link is still working perfectly, if you remove ?u=siko1056.
  1. The badge system. This can be easily en-/disabled by an admin switch globally.

I find that feature more useful than annoying :grin:

I think people who are concerned about the privacy of their usernames know how to copy and paste a URL from the address bar, how to edit the share URL, or maybe use private browsing to get an anonymized URL.

Agree, working around is super easy. @mtmiller and @siko1056 are not that striking user names, but imagine a user spam, virus, … then an url posted will look less serious :sweat_smile:

I disabled the “badge” system recently. Thus tracking the usernames is not important anymore. But I want to talk about all these things on the next Online Developer Meeting.

@siko1056 I can’t make the meeting, but I hope we can reconsider enabling the badge system. I’m not going to override you unilaterally, but I think it would be beneficial to keep it for welcoming new forum users.

@mtmiller That’s a pity you cannot join the meeting.

I re-enabled the badge system and don’t mind if you override settings I made. We are in a testing state, thus we should not sort out features because of my opinion only :innocent: Maybe you are right, and for new users it is fun. When there are many complains, we can disable it anytime again easily.

I re-enabled the badge system and don’t mind if you override settings I made. We are in a testing state, thus we should not sort out features because of my opinion only :innocent:Maybe you are right, and for new users it is fun. When there are many complains, we can disable it anytime again easily.

(trying an email bottompost. realizing how much I actually did like the way that made conversations easier.)

personally I don’t mind the badges. if they are visible ahead of being earned they sometimes provide hints to new users of things you can do. sort of like the stackexchange badge system.

@nrjank Can you explain this in more detail? Did you try to answer by email?

previous email I trimmed and bottom posted. the mailing list mode emails show a toppost style with the new message always followed by the 'In reply to" post. I guess that would help follow a conversation if you didn’t use a conversation threaded email, but otherwise it’s cluttered. didn’t know if trimming would reduce that. the copied email looks like this anyway (image below):

this one I just email replied and top posted without trimming. it looks like there should be a lot of copied/quoted previous conversation below. We’ll see if discourse trims that somehow.

looking above, seems that discourse does trim the conversations posted. I didn’t get a courtesy copy in my inbox, so not sure what that looks like. I was worried the forum was going to retain an annoying level of quoting, but guess not.

Yes, I found out myself that Discourse acts quite smart with the email replies, but I am not aware of the technical background at all. Sometimes I had trouble answering to a topic from an “anonymous” account. I deactivated the mailing-list mode myself, as I plan to use Discourse as forum (what seems to be it’s strength).

I’ll probably do what I’ve don’t one the Yahoo groups and now groups.io lists: keep individual mailing list delivery on, and use the convenient visit topic link for anything not a simple text reply