Announcing Octave 7.1 Release Candidate 1 availability

The Octave Maintainers are pleased to announce availability of the first 7.1 Release Candidate (version 7.0.90) available at alpha.gnu.org in the directory gnu/octave.

Please help test RC1 by downloading the source code and running through the configure, make, make check sequence. Successes can be reported here on Discourse, but problems should generally be reported at bugs.octave.org.

As expected, compiled just fine on an ordinary Kubuntu 18.04 Linux PC. Results from make check are good as well.

Summary:

PASS                            17076
  FAIL                                0
  XFAIL (reported bug)               25
  SKIP (missing feature)             89
  SKIP (run-time condition)          27

make install also works fine.

Afaics, the version suffix of liboctave and liboctinterp hasn’t changed since Octave 6.4.0. (Or has it?)
IIRC, that suffix was bumped for a major release in the past. Was that omitted intentionally this time?

EDIT (by Rik): A related question, is the version number for RC1 7.0.90 or 7.0.91? The tarball has version 7.0.91 but the version available for reporting at bugs.octave.org is 7.0.90.

To answer Rik’s question: Even numbers are “released”/fixed versions (at least in the release candidate phase). Odd numbers are “development” versions.
IIUC, the version in the tarball should be 7.0.90. (Matching its filename.)

1 Like

Besides the version number, I found and fixed another issue in the documentation. We had announced deprecated operators such as ** in the file NEWS.7.md without backtick markers so it was causing bolding to appear in strange places. The changeset is at octave: 824c67e2bd66.

1 Like

I triggered building the release candidate in MSYS2:
octave: Update to Octave 7.0.90 (RC1) · mmuetzel/MINGW-packages@ae24f3a (github.com)

It built successfully in the three supported “environments”. (There is no Fortran compiler for the clang “environments”.) I don’t know if it is possible to run the test suite with those…

I built and installed the “mingw64” version manually on Windows 10 with the following overall result:

Summary:

PASS                            17109
  XFAIL (reported bug)               32
  SKIP (missing feature)             57
  SKIP (run-time condition)          14

Related: We didn’t deprecate any properties this time. Should we adapt the respective section in NEWS.7.md accordingly?

I remembered to update the version number for the manual in the CITATION file but forgot about the shared library versions. I will update those for the release (or the next candidate if there is one).

I’m not that bothered by this, but if you want to remove it you could.

I removed the empty table here:
octave: c98873eb2852 (gnu.org)

The “About Octave” dialog in the GUI:

Octave is significantly longer around than since 2021. Is there a reason why we claim the copyright only for 2021-2022?

the (c) dates show in the command line in linux as well - looks like set in configure.ac

Previously, this line had only the release year without timespan

--- a/configure.ac
+++ b/configure.ac
@@ -2,7 +2,7 @@
 dnl
 ########################################################################
 ##
-## Copyright (C) 1993-2021 The Octave Project Developers
+## Copyright (C) 1993-2022 The Octave Project Developers
 ##
 ## See the file COPYRIGHT.md in the top-level directory of this
 ## distribution or <https://octave.org/copyright/>.
@@ -46,7 +46,7 @@
 dnl PACKAGE_VERSION is set by the AC_INIT VERSION argument.
 OCTAVE_VERSION="$PACKAGE_VERSION"

-OCTAVE_COPYRIGHT="Copyright (C) 2021 The Octave Project Developers."
+OCTAVE_COPYRIGHT="Copyright (C) 2021-2022 The Octave Project Developers."

OCTAVE_RELEASE_DATE="2021-11-24"

which text is desired? “2022” only or “1993-2022”?

Claiming the copyright from when the project started until now makes intuitive sense to me. But there might be some reason why the copyright was only claimed for the current year before…

Edit: I adapted the copyright to claim the range from 1993-2022 here:
octave: 6967a1aadd54 (gnu.org)

On Mageia-8 (64bit) Octave-7.0.90 builds fine but make check gives:

:
  image/image.m .................................................. pass    2/2   
  image/imfinfo.m ................................................ pass    4/5   
                                                                   FAIL    1
  image/imformats.m .............................................. pass    0/6   
                                                                   FAIL    6
  image/imread.m .................................................terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Magick::ErrorFileOpen'
  what():  Magick: Unable to open file (#000000) reported by magick/constitute.c:1555 (ReadImage)
fatal: caught signal Aborted -- stopping myself...
make[3]: *** [Makefile:32258: check-local] Error 134
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/philip/devel/octdev/oct7090'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:28356: check-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/philip/devel/octdev/oct7090'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:28059: check-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/philip/devel/octdev/oct7090'
make: *** [Makefile:28358: check] Error 2

I think this is no Octave fault, I get this imread crash consistently on this (new) laptop, I suspect the GraphicsMagick setup isn’t as it should be but it’s what Mageia supplies. In other circumstances I see complaints about ‘delegates.mk’ not being found.

On my desktop (Mageia 8) I get:

Summary:

PASS                            17163
  SKIP (missing feature)              3
  SKIP (run-time condition)          26

Found the issue with my laptop: it didn’t have graphicsmagick itself installed, just the linrary and include files. Once I got it installed make check gives:

Summary:

PASS                            17163

I wonder if configure should also check for the actual graphicsmagick application. It could be distro dependent, but w/o the application Octave can get built but proves to be crippled.

Ubuntu 21 desktop:

PASS                            17159
  XFAIL (reported bug)               29

@jwe: Will there be an “official” Windows installer for the release candidate?

I figured, now is as good a time as any to bump the library versions. And it’ll be one thing less we need to remember. Pushed a change here:
octave: d0bca82e1a5a (gnu.org)