Can't install tablicious

Hey!

So recently I’ve been making a code and it ran fine with the package and all but I had an issue with octave and had to reinstall octave. After this I was unable to reinstall the tablicious package and got this error:

error: unpack: unarchiving program exited with status: 2
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Anybody know what might be wrong?

Can provide some more information about your Octave installation and system?

• What is your operating system?
  • What is the Octave version used (previously)?
  • Installation method: “octave-6.1.0-w64-installer.exe” from https://www.octave.org/download.html? Linux flatpak, macOS homebrew, …?
  • What was you issue with Octave? Maybe this gives a clue?
  • Do you have write permissions to the current directory?
  • Can you show the output of
    pkg install -verbose https://github.com/apjanke/octave-tablicious/releases/download/v0.3.5/tablicious-0.3.5.tar.gz?

Hey!
So in order:

• Windows 10
  • v6.2.0 (if I’m not mistaken)
  • Installation method: “octave-6.2.0-w64-installer.exe” from that site
  • I don’t know what the issue was exactly… It just crashed as soon as it opened.
  • Should have
pkg install -verbose https://github.com/apjanke/octave-tablicious/releases/download/v0.3.5/tablicious-0.3.5.tar.gz
mkdir (C:\Users\ludov\AppData\Local\Temp\oct-tNCnxe)
untar (C:\Users\ludov\AppData\Local\Temp\oct-qe8mwp\tablicious-0.3.5.tar.gz, C:\Users\ludov\AppData\Local\Temp\oct-tNCnxe)
make: Entering directory '/tmp/oct-tNCnxe/tablicious-0.3.5/src'
C:/PROGRA~1/GNU Octave/Octave-6.2.0/mingw64/bin/mkoctfile-6.2.0.exe --verbose __oct_time_binsearch__.cc
C:/PROGRA~1/GNU: line 1: [Paths]: command not found
C:/PROGRA~1/GNU: line 2: Octave/Octave-6.2.0/: No such file or directory
C:/PROGRA~1/GNU: line 3: OctaveOctave-6.2.0\binqt.conf: No such file or directory
C:/PROGRA~1/GNU: line 4: OctaveOctave-6.2.0\binqt.conf: No such file or directory
C:/PROGRA~1/GNU: line 5: OctaveOctave-6.2.0\binqt.conf: No such file or directory
C:/PROGRA~1/GNU: line 6: OctaveOctave-6.2.0\binqt.conf: No such file or directory
C:/PROGRA~1/GNU: line 7: OctaveOctave-6.2.0\binqt.conf: No such file or directory
make: *** [Makefile:7: __oct_time_binsearch__.oct] Error 127
make: Leaving directory '/tmp/oct-tNCnxe/tablicious-0.3.5/src'

error: pkg: error running 'make' for the tablicious package.
error: called from
    configure_make at line 110 column 9
    install at line 196 column 7
    pkg at line 568 column 9

Thanks for the detailed report. It looks like a similar issue to this one:

The problem there were the spaces in the Octave installation path C:/PROGRA~1/GNU Octave/Octave-6.2.0. Basically this is for Octave no problem, but for currently unknown MS Windows system configurations those spaces happen to be a problem.

To work around this, please follow the advice of @mmuetzel :

For the time being, please try to uninstall Octave and install it again. During installation, please change the destination to something that doesn’t have spaces in its path. Like e.g. C:\Octave\Octave-6.2.0 or something similar.

No problem. I tried the solution but keep getting the error message.
I installed octave here:

C:\Program Files\Octave-6.2.0\

It’s really frustrating because it all worked fine until this issue and it’s for project due tomorrow…

The advice is C:\Octave as installation location, please remember no spaces :wink:

Hey… sorry that was my bad I tried again but still no luck…

error: unpack: unarchiving program exited with status: 2
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
unpack at line 279 column 5
untar at line 48 column 5
install at line 93 column 9
pkg at line 568 column 9

The error message of tar sounds like the download did not succeed?!

Can you download https://github.com/apjanke/octave-tablicious/releases/download/v0.3.5/tablicious-0.3.5.tar.gz separately, change within Octave to that download directory and install it via:

pkg install -verbose tablicious-0.3.5.tar.gz
1 Like

I don’t know what kind of magic you pulled but that solved it! Thank you so much :smiley:

1 Like

I have a similar issue; The error I get is:

error: __event_manager_unregister_doc__' undefined near line 25, column 7
    unload_tablicious at line 25 column 7
    C:\Users\jorge.rive\AppData\Roaming\octave\api-v57\packages\tablicious-0.3.6\PKG_DEL at line 1 column 1
    uninstall at line 118 column 9
    install at line 220 column 9
    pkg at line 603 column 9

I had no trouble installing it on Octave ver 6.4.0 , but can’t seem to install it on ver. 7.1.0

It shows up when I do a ‘pkg list’, but it has an asterisk next to it. I cannot seem to uninstall it either.

Thank you.

The issue is not related and @lostbard gave you this answer:

If anything is unclear about that answer, please ask in the referenced topic.