Contact email address on wiki error page incorrect?

When an error occurs while trying to edit the content of an entry on wiki.octave.org, an error message is displayed which asks to send a message describing the error to webmaster@wiki.octave.org.
Messages to that address bounce back a few days later with the following error:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of
its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
failed:

webmaster@wiki.octave.org

Reason:
multiple delivery attempts failed

P.S.: I’m not sure if this is the correct place to report this kind of error.

This email address is hard coded into the wiki’s LocalSettings.php:

$wgEmergencyContact = "webmaster@octave.org";
$wgPasswordSender = "webmaster@octave.org";

@jwe does this address exist? Otherwise I could change them to something dependable :innocent:

It does not seem to exist now. I can create it or any other alias you would like. Even if you have another address in mind, it might be best to use an alias in the @octave.org domain .

It would be great, if you can create webmaster@octave.org. If you don’t want to link it to your address, you can link it to mine (k.ohlhus@gmail.com) :wink:

I set it up to forward to both of us:

webmaster@octave.org: jwe@octave.org, k.ohlhus@gmail.com

It may take up to two hours until it works.

1 Like

Did you already make this change on the wiki?

I tried to edit Editing Mercurial - Octave. But on submitting the change, I still get an error message that refers to webmaster@wiki.octave.org (note the “wiki” sub-domain that doesn’t appear in the code snippet @siko1056 showed):

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@wiki.octave.org to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

On a related note: I’m not able to edit wiki pages.

Thank for the hint @mmuetzel . It took me some time to investigate the problem and it seems to be a wiki bug in maybe the syntaxhighlight extension. After this change

https://wiki.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Mercurial&type=revision&diff=13638&oldid=13172

You should be able to edit again.

From this bug other wiki pages might be affected as well, which use programming language keywords as first word within a “syntaxhighlight” block :weary: I track this bug further down and report it upstream. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Finally @jwe and I came to the root of this problem: it was an internal change in the server settings. Now the wiki should be as editable as some time ago again :white_check_mark: