Create a homework category?

perhaps we should create a ‘homework help’ category…

1 Like

I think that we are doing a good job at recognizing homework. And responding appropriately.
For my self I usually can recognize when they are a very early beginner and do need help to get the basics. These I have and would give real help to. But other questions it is obvious that the prof. has given a more advanced challenge, and I think that we are correct in only clarifying an error message, etc. I taught with octave for over 20 years, so I treat each request similarly to how I treated my students. Each according to their real needs. I think we as a group are doing a good job. (in many different ways)

1 Like

A homework help category would be ok , but I wonder if they would find it. But we could try.

@nrjank and @dastew: I can create such a category. Do you have enough permissions to moderate it? For example, to move past homework topics into that category?

There are 967 topics in the help category so far and reclassifying them would be thankless, especially for the ones that are long closed. Two things come to mind:

• Instead of reclassifying old threads, perhaps this could apply only to new ones going forward.

• Could we use a homework tag instead of a full category? That would give most of the advantages (searching based on tag instead of browsing a category) but is a lot easier to maintain.

Actually, we have got that tag :innocent: Topics tagged homework

1 Like

Do you have enough permissions to moderate it? For example, to move past homework topics into that category?

in any case, apparently the answer to that is no. assuming I should see some options with the … on a comment.

You should be able to change the category of a thread by editing its title with the pen button next to the title.
Afaict, it is not possible to assign a different category to a single post in a thread…

2 Likes

so i can! thanks.

1 Like