"Entry point" bug launching GNU Octave

The problem

Have been using GNU Octave (7.2.0) for the past few weeks on my computer, something happened since yesterday and now I cannot launch Octave.

When attempting to launch GUI, CLI, even BLAS switcher (don’t even know what it is) or directly opening a script I get the following error message (same in all cases).

Octave-gui.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point WSAAsyncSelect could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\PROGRA~1\GNUOCT~1\OCTAVE1.0\mingw64\bin\QtCore.dll.`
If I navigate to that directory I can find the mentioned dll:

I wouldn’t know how to replicate it in another computer, I just try to open the program, no installations afaik on this computer in between not having and now having this problem.

I’ve uninstalled the package (twice through windows uninstall, once through bulk crap uninstaller and running a analysis to remove trailing files) and reinstalled with a fresh download too but been having the same issue.

Runing as admin doesn’t change the outcome either.

Thank you for writing us about your problem with using :octave: GNU Octave. To help us help you, please answer the following questions, if applicable.

My system

• Octave Version 7.2.0. - 64 bit
  • Installation method: Downloaded and installed “octave-7.2.0-w64-installerexe” from Download

Self update: installed 7.2.0. 32bit version and that successfully launched. Greeted with this message in the commandline:
Octave was configured for "i686-w64-mingw32".
Not sure this is the ideal solution but will be running with it in the meantime.

It sounds like a corrupted DLL on your system, may or may not be Octave-specific. You can try resolving it using one of these techniques:

Nothing else comes to mind right now.

Edit: something does come to mind. Your path says “progra~1” etc. Can you install it in a location without spaces at all, like “C:\Octave”? No Program Files, no GNU Octave, nothing.

Maybe your antivirus software erroneously removed the file of a dependent library or moved it to quarantine?
Which antivirus software are you using?

Fwiw, that entry point is exported from ws2_32.dll for me:

No antivirus (windows defender), and the file still exists in the path, not quarantined.

To verify file integrity, could you check some cryptographical checksums of Qt5Core.dll?
E.g. you can start “Bash Shell” from the Start->Octave 7.2 menu then in the shell type

cd /c/Program\ Files/GNU\ Octave/Octave-7.2.0/mingw64/bin/
md5sum.exe Qt5Core.dll

I got

6697ce97bd3b601f3fad5c8380fea9f9 *Qt5Core.dll

on my computer and you should get the same.

(I assume there are some native Windows utilities which would calculate the same , I just do not know them.)

It looks like the error message references QtCore.dll, not Qt5Core.dll. Perhaps that is relevant?