- Creating Octave packages is easy
- Publishing them
To make the publication of Octave packages less bureaucratic and more fun again, I propose the
Sources at https://github.com/gnu-octave/pkg-index/
All Octave Forge packages in their latest release, and more, are indexed
- No need to move away from Octave Forge with your package
- The package maintainer is responsible for his package to work
- Host your code / releases anywhere (SourceForge, GitHub, GitLab, own public server, …)
- Easy, less bureaucratic addition of packages and releases
- Easy web interface to find packages / code
- Minimal automated quality checks
- Optional integrity checks by sha256 checksums.
Fully community driven.
- Every member of the GitHub “gnu-octave” organization can approve changes to packages
- The index itself is a “static” website.
- Automatically built by GitHub pages
- The index pages can be hosted (mirrored, duplicated, etc.) anywhere
If there are no objections, I would like to present this index alongside with Octave Forge on the main Octave website.
This “Package extension index” is just an index. No changes to the Octave package format are required, thus all packages listed there can be installed using the default
pkg tool of Octave.
A further project is to make package installations fun again extending @apjanke’s
Comments are pretty welcome