Goals for the next release

As discussed during the developer meeting on 2020/10/27, I created a wiki entry to list goals for the next release and added some of my own priority items.

You can find the wiki section here:

We can move it to a separate page or category if it would work better that way.

Also, as noted in that entry, the section is intended for active developers, not a place to dump wishlist items or feature requests. Please create a subsection for your ideas/prioirities.

I understand this shouldn’t be a wishlist and I hope I don’t open Pandora’s box by this: But a project I would like to see tackled is the cross-platform text widget as a replacement for the terminal widgets we currently use.
I wouldn’t know where to even start with this project. So my role would at best be to give some support once the major parts are done.

Yes, replacing the current terminal widget is something that I’d also like to see sometime soon, I just don’t know how much time I have to work on it, but maybe if I can sketch out how it could work with simple implementation it would provide a starting point for others?

+1 for the new terminal widget. I can assist with the gui part of the new implementation.

That would very probably help.
It might also help if it were possible to break this down into smaller sub-projects.
Like I already wrote, I don’t know where to even start looking. So I can’t estimate what these sub-projects could be.

I was interested in something slightly different when I proposed this. The Projects page on the wiki is good for just that, potential ideas to implement. Instead, I wanted to explore what major themes we might pursue for the Octave 7 release. After a theme (or two or three) was picked then projects would be selected to support that theme. Some possible organizing ideas that I had:

• Improve graphics
    ** better graphic performance (plots of many polygons, such as through patch(), are much slower than OpenGl is capable of)
    ** hide the fact that OpenGl uses single precision variables (this has been on the wishlist forever)
    ** allow for very large datasets (right now we pass all points to OpenGl for ploting which can be slow for a million points)
    ** have an architecture review by an OpenGl expert (do we have enough in Octave’s fund to pay for a 4-hour review). I think we must be doing some things inneficiently.

• Improve performance
    ** JIT compiler (this is a big one, but it has to happen sometime)
    ** overall performance has slowed considerably from earlier versions of Octave (3.4.X seems to have been the best). Use profiling and other tools to eliminate some of the slowdowns
    ** performance for certain operations like struct field lookups should be O(log2(N), but is not. Given that we are mapping on to C++ data structures which have this behavior it must be something that Octave is doing that prevents us from reaching full performance.

• Code Base and technical debt
    ** complete BIST regression suite. It is easier to speed through the design/build/test cycle if we know we have a complete regression suite which will catch any bugs.
    ** create a performance regression test suite. Right now we can’t code with confidence that we aren’t solving a functional problem but also creating a performance one.
    ** reduce unnecessary functions in core so there is less to maintain. I’m thinking of a number of very UNIX-y sysadmin functions which we basically get for free, but are still cluttering and not really germane to numerical analysis. I would rather have people use a language like Perl if they want to do sysadmin. The functions could be shunted off to a new package.

• Matlab compatibility
    ** strings class (bite the bullet and implement this and, probably, get rid of Octave’s very UNIX-y way of understanding single and double quotes)
    ** “argument” input validation blocks
    ** others? Seems like there are tall arrays, dataframes, etc.

• Octave-only functionality
    ** built-in hash operator. I would like to see an O(1) search function incorporated in to the Octave language, similar to hashes in Perl or dictionaries in Python. This would be an extension over what Matlab provides, and could be used to implement containers.Map more easily as well as data frames.
    ** new efficient algorithm for eigenvectors. See https://www.quantamagazine.org/neutrinos-lead-to-unexpected-discovery-in-basic-math-20191113. It turns out the mathematics are sound and have been re-discovered from time to time. It probably beats what is in LAPACK.

These are a few themes, there could be more. For example, I haven’t even mentioned UI/UX because it isn’t a big deal for me, but I know others might want to make that a focus.

2 Likes

I concur.

It is no secret that Octave’s OpengGL rendering engine is written using the old school direct pipeline. This part of the API is at least discouraged and often deprecated. So yes, it would be great if we could hire someone to help us switch to modern OpenGL (glsl shaders, vertex buffer objects, …).

Fascinating stuff.
Reading up in the references of that article, I get the impression (but I may be wrong) that a performance gain is to be expected for (some types of) band matrices, not so much for general “random” matrices. But large “full” matrices are better avoided anyway. so yeah there’s some “perspective”.
Let’s wait until this is picked up more widely and actual implementations turn up that we can use for a start.

Dear All Octave Developers,
Will there be an image-acquisition package which also works for imaging devices connected to Windows OS? :upside_down_face:

I heard that the present package only works for imaging devices connected to a Linux OS.

@HKPhysicist: Generally, Octave “core” and the packages aren’t maintained by the same group of (voluntary) developers.
This thread is about the next release of core Octave. You’d have to ask the package developers of the image-acquisition package if they plan to support other platforms…