Help me understand font size

I am having a very difficult time trying to size and position text on plots, especially printed()ed plots. I don’t understand the relation between ‘fontsize’ and text in screen plots and text in printed()ed plots. I did come across an old bug report about printed font size that seems to be still open so maybe that’s it? If so are there any workarounds?

Also, does the ‘fontunits’ property do anything? I’ve tried all of the options and I don’t see any differences.

I’ve been going through a lot of trial and error dealing with text and once I get things the way I want, small changes to the plot make a mess of it. Any pointers to any resources on dealing with print()ed font sizes would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit to add: Just knowing how to calculate how much space given text was going to occupy in a printed figure would be enough for me to do what I am trying to do.

Octave 7.1.0
configured for x86_64-w64-mingw32
octave-7.1.0-w64-installer.exe downloaded from gnu.org
Up to date Windows 10.

If you are talking about bug #45600, then I think that it is indeed the root cause of text size being inconsistent between printout and onscreen figures.

If you want us to help you find workarounds then you should provide us with actual examples.

Yeah. That’s the one. I’d meant to link to it. Sorry.

I can maybe make up an example if I have some time later. The code I’m working on is around 1700 lines in 13 files so I don’t think posting it really is practical.