How to use the whole Command Window

How can i make the command window show everything that is typed? The way it is currently setup, only the upper left hand corner of the Command Window will show what is being typed. If the string is too long I have to move the slider bar for the window to see what is hidden. I DONT mean what is being typed just doesn’t fit in the Command Window, I mean the command window itself hides a good portion of what is being typed.

It is like the program thinks the command window is minimized, and will only show a portion of what is being worked on.

hard to visualize your issue. can you upload a screenshot to this conversation? what version are you running and on what operating system?

it may be you have a corrupt gui configuration file. deleting the file will force octave to create a fresh config file on next restart, which may clear up the issue. if you can’t find it, (octave-gui.ini), let us know what version & OS you have and we can help.

I am running Octave v 7.2.0 on Windows 10 v 20H2

if you look at the image, 5 lines from the bottom, you can see how my text string looks like it is not finished. It looks like I only typed “mm/dd/y”… and just stopped typing. I did in fact complete that command, and octave did what I wanted to my graph.

ok. from the size of the screenshot it appears you are using multiple screens. we have had reports of layout issues on/across multiple screens.

can you try clearing the configuration file to see if that fixes things? It’s located in your user profile. Easiest way to find it is opening a windows explorer window, and in the address bar type %APPDATA% and hit enter. that should take you somewhere like C:\users<username>\appdata\roaming. underneath that location should be an octave folder. inside there should be octave-gui.ini. please close octave, rename this file, then restart octave, and report back whether the problem persists. You may also want to try starting/stopping the program with the main window on or even across different monitors, and let us know if that alters your results. if renaming the ini file helps, you could also upload the problem ini file here so someone could see if something in there is obviously problematic.

Should I rename it anything specific? would “octave-gui_1.ini” be adequate?

Any change will prevent octave from finding it. So adding .old to the end would suffice, but anything will work

Thank you for your help. This has cleared up the problem that I was having. Now I am able to use the entire command window.

Are you able to post the new and old ini files for comparison? And can you describe your monitor setup?

I do have 2 monitors. I use a laptop mostly, and have a docking station that connects to a second monitor. I use the second monitor for all of my programing since it is a little easier for me read.

octave-gui.ini (6.3 KB)
octave-gui.old.ini (49.2 KB)

I have uploaded both of the .ini files for the community to look at.

I think the issue was that I began using Octave before I started using the second monitor.

@ttl any thoughts here?