Tbh, I haven’t thought this far ahead yet.
IIUC, jwe preferred to not have too many changes in the Windows bundle between dot-releases. I kind of agree that it’d probably make sense to only fix bugs (and update Octave Forge packages) similarly to what we do on Octave’s stable branch.
It might make sense to wait until a major release with other updates that aren’t needed for fixing bugs.
We should probably merge the default to the release branch in the MXE Octave repository some time between just after merging default to stable in the Octave repository (probably the earliest it’d make sense) and just before the first release candidate (probably the latest opportunity).
I’d vote for not waiting too long to have sufficient time for testing.
IIRC, jwe wrote about switching his buildbots to the release branch for the stable and release targets. The default targets on his buildbots would still use the default branch of MXE Octave.
I don’t know what Kai Torben decided to do for his nightly builds. But if he keeps tracking the default branch of MXE Octave, any changes on there would still be tested with the current stable branch of Octave.
In that case, we’d probably have a good enough test coverage on both branches.
What do you think?