No octave favicon.ico?

just noticed on the docs pages, and now on the main octave.org page, that none of the octave webpages have a browser tab icon (favicon) showing. is that deliberate? or did we have one and it stopped working?

as per stackoverflow, my understanding is that creating one can be as simple as putting a favicon.ico in the root of the server so that a request to server.name/favicon.ico returns the image file. that or every page can have it’s own by adding a <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="http://example.com/favicon.png"> with a png (or ico) to the . they suggest always using an ico with 16x16 and 32x32 for backward compatibility.

apparently if we want to cater to lots of other devices, the full story can be found at GitHub - audreyfeldroy/favicon-cheat-sheet: Obsessive cheat sheet to favicon sizes/types. Please contribute! (Note: this may be in flux as I learn new things about favicon best practices.)

and apparently the super best tool for creating every possible catered option: http://www.favicomatic.com/

1 Like

continuing down this rabbit hole, starting with the octave svg file, here’s the output from favicomatic’s ‘Every damn size, sir’ option, including the header code for each one. it may be a bit overkill.

<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="57x57" href="apple-touch-icon-57x57.png" />
<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="114x114" href="apple-touch-icon-114x114.png" />
<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="72x72" href="apple-touch-icon-72x72.png" />
<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="144x144" href="apple-touch-icon-144x144.png" />
<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="60x60" href="apple-touch-icon-60x60.png" />
<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="120x120" href="apple-touch-icon-120x120.png" />
<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="76x76" href="apple-touch-icon-76x76.png" />
<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="152x152" href="apple-touch-icon-152x152.png" />
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="favicon-196x196.png" sizes="196x196" />
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="favicon-96x96.png" sizes="96x96" />
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="favicon-32x32.png" sizes="32x32" />
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="favicon-16x16.png" sizes="16x16" />
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="favicon-128.png" sizes="128x128" />
<meta name="application-name" content="&nbsp;"/>
<meta name="msapplication-TileColor" content="#FFFFFF" />
<meta name="msapplication-TileImage" content="mstile-144x144.png" />
<meta name="msapplication-square70x70logo" content="mstile-70x70.png" />
<meta name="msapplication-square150x150logo" content="mstile-150x150.png" />
<meta name="msapplication-wide310x150logo" content="mstile-310x150.png" />
<meta name="msapplication-square310x310logo" content="mstile-310x310.png" />

I assume the application name would get renamed with GNU Octave vX.Y.Z

OctaveLogo_everysize_favicomatic.zip (165 KB)

Maybe it was just lost when we had to reconstruct the web site after the fosshost debacle?

maybe. i don’t recall if it was ever there.

the attached favicon.ico file contains the right sizes for different browser rendering if we just want to drop one file in the root of ?each? server. where would it go and what changes would be made where for it to appear in the root of:

docs.octave.org
www.octave.org
gnu-octave.github.io

when they’re built?

i now see wiki.octave.org is the only one that has one.

favicon.ico:

favicon

1 Like

Thanks for observing our branding detail :sunglasses::+1: I take a look at it on the weekend.

@nrjank and @jwe the beautiful Octave favicon should be visible again on {docs,wiki,www}.octave.org. Maybe a browser restart is necessary.

This was basically what I did now and in the years before.

Also many thanks for evaluating these options. Let us stay out of the rabbit hole until a user makes us believe that further action is necessary :innocent:

1 Like

I see the favicon on octave.org, www.octave.org, and gnu-octave.github.io. but looking at docs.octave.org, i see the file there, but across several browsers the favicon isn’t appearing even though manually requesting https://docs.octave.org/favicon.ico returns the icon as expected. is there something special going on with the docs pages?

also not seeing it at octave.space (only reason I notice is because i have waaaay too many browser tabs always open, and the icon makes it much easier to locate)