Octave 6.3.0 Windows package problems

Thank you for your efforts to bring more regular Octave updates! I just installed Octave 6.3.0 on my Windows 10 PC - parallel to Octave 6.2.0 - and I noticed that the “windows” package functions are not available in 6.3.0 after loading the package (most recent v. 1.6.1 installed). Calling pkg install -forge windows in 6.3.0 fixed it for this Octave version, but then the functions are not available in 6.2.0 anymore. (The same is true in the opposite direction.) Earlier comments discussed the compatibility of packages, but I’m not sure this is expected behavior.

The Windows package should have been bundled with the Octave installer on Windows (at least it is for me).
If you (additionally) installed the Windows package locally, that version will be used instead.
In Octave 6 (and earlier), the local package store is the same for all Octave versions. However, packages that contain compiled functions must match the respective API version. So, a package compiled for Octave 6.2 won’t work in Octave 6.3 and vice versa. (See the respective note in the README.)
Octave 7 (and later) will install local packages in a API dependent folder by default. (See bug #58299.)

In that particular case, you could try and uninstall the local package (with pkg uninstall windows) and use the bundled version of the package instead.

Thank you for the quick response! That solved my issue. Some time ago I played around with local and global packages and forgot about it. After going back to global packages in both Octave versions, everything works. Thanks!

1 Like