Octave doesn't detect audio devices

I’m running Octave on linux.

I can’t play or record sounds in octave because it doesn’t detect audio devices.

audiodevinfo results empty. Other apps play sound correctly.

audiodevinfo
ans =

scalar structure containing the fields:

input =

1x0 struct array containing the fields:

Name
    DriverVersion
    ID

output =

1x0 struct array containing the fields:

Name
    DriverVersion
    ID

And

sound_play_utility
error: ‘sound_play_utility’ undefined near line 1 column 1

And, yes, I have alsa, pulseaudio, jack…

What can I do?

Raul

Thanks for your report @raulpinheiro . Can you be more precise about what Linux you are using and how you installed Octave in which version there?

What is this function sound_play_utility? I found in a very old thread (2009)

about a global variable called like this. What do you expect from this function / variable? Where did you get this information from?

I’m using Linux Mint. Octave’s welcome message says: "Octave was configured for “x86_64-pc-linux-gnu”.

That’s exactly where I found it, in my quite extensive research to try to solve the problem…

I tried to workaround doing a system call:

system(‘paplay surprise.wav’)

but, although the command works in the terminal, it doesn’t work when called from octave. (system(‘pwd’), works).

Thank you

Raul

I’m using Linux Mint. Octave’s welcome message says: "Octave was configured for “x86_64-pc-linux-gnu”.

That’s exactly where I found it, in my quite extensive research to try to solve the problem…

I tried to workaround doing a system call:

system(‘paplay surprise.wav’)

but, although the command works in the terminal, it doesn’t work when called from octave. (system(‘pwd’), works).

Thank you

Raul

I installed Octave usung snap via commandline. My octave is 5.2.0 (2020-01-31).

Thanks again

Raul

Have you tried connecting the Octave pulseaudio interface with sudo snap connect octave:pulseaudio?

SOLVED!

Thank you very much!

Where can I find such info?

Raul

Here is the official snap user guide on interfaces.

It’s not very intuitive to me, but there it is.