Symbolic 3.0.0 released

Symbolic calculation features, including common Computer Algebra System tools such as algebraic operations, calculus, equation solving, Fourier and Laplace transforms, variable precision arithmetic and other features. Compatibility with other symbolic toolboxes is intended.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://gnu-octave.github.io/packages/symbolic#3.0.0
2 Likes

Big update!

With previous versions of Symbolic I’ve kept Sympy at v1.5.x. With this latest version of the package, are there updated constraints? I saw the release notes mentioned 1.6.

1 Like

Running pkg test symbolic (7.1.91 (hg id: 5cf18ef0377c) on Fedora 35 I see:

..local/share/octave/api-v57/packages/symbolic-3.0.0/poly2sym.m  pass   18/18  
  ..share/octave/api-v57/packages/symbolic-3.0.0/pycall_sympy__.m Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 4, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sympy/core/singleton.py", line 120, in __getattr__
    raise AttributeError(
AttributeError: Attribute 'make_an_attribute_err_exception' was not installed on SymPy registry S
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 2, in <module>
  File "<stdin>", line 12, in octoutput_drv
  File "<stdin>", line 96, in octoutput
ValueError: octoutput does not know how to export type <class 'type'>
 pass   46/46  
  ...local/share/octave/api-v57/packages/symbolic-3.0.0/sympref.m 

pass   36/36  

Am I missing some dependancies?

It works with SymPy >= 1.4 and up to the latest main branch. But more trouble is coming in future SymPy releases: hopefully we’ll get some upstream changes done this summer…

1 Like

No, that is actually a unit test that is supposed to fail. Its just overly verbose (and that is hard to control). @Alex I think we should rename make_an_attribute_err_exception to This_is_supposed_to_raise_an_error?

A couple of tests are failing in the CI with the nightly builds for Windows:
freshly brewed Octave · gnu-octave/octave-buildbot@43f176e (github.com)

Some of the errors seem to emit things like this:

python: can't open file '/mingw64/share/octave/packages/symbolic-3.0.0/D:\a\_temp\oct-EEh6sa_octsympytmp.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

It looks like this could be two absolute paths that are concatenated. That is probably ok for most paths on a Linux file system. But it is failing on Windows.

Edit: That’s still with SymPy 1.5 in case that should matter.

thanks! I can guess what that is related to… Filed this to get it fixed new or continuing tempfile related problems · Issue #1182 · cbm755/octsympy · GitHub